Sunday, July 15, 2007

Resolving Resolutions

Life in general is a great leveller,just when you think that you have figured it all out, you are on top and there is nothing to remove you from your ego throne, it gets back at you with annoying alacrity. For me it is this moment, this very second and few thousand more seconds to follow. My physical body is a part of a biology discussion class where we are discussing the hyperdynamic plasticity of chromatin proteins. This is one of those situations you wouldn't like to be in, specially when people think (or so you think that people think) you are one of the intellectually elevated species. There are two harsh realities of life a) I don't get Biology, b) there are things for which you have to work hard in life and sadly for me that is biology.

At this point I am clinging hard to the bottom rung of the ladder of biology knowledge in the class and the only person who knows lesser that I do, is I myself. What made me write this apart from total disinterest in chromatin modelling is the quality retrospection you go through during these "lost" moments. The first thing I do during this solitude is make a resolution to be regular, more prepared and better read. Sadly, the only resolution I accomplish with alarming regularity is to make a resolution, and of course break it to get to the next one. This is the only time when yesterday's sleep, TV and internet surfing seem like a total waste of time, when I should have been "actively" involved in research. I am being slightly harsh on myself, because I did spend most of the weekend doing school work. But these are moments when you free fall to the extremity (hence you promise yourself to do work and nothing else).

After setting my goals, I look around to see my worthy competitors. The manicure expert, the pondering daydreamer and the lost in slumber genius don't seem a real threat. What I need to beat, is the competition from the rambling frontbenchers. That does not seem like a easy task, since they string phrases like pleuripotency, gel isolation and marker analysis into strong coherent sentences to powder puff and make up a moot point into a strong argument.

Almost a few minutes to the end of the class, the fate of another, anxious, weak-willed resolution of mine waits for its fate with not a lot of hope....

2 Comments:

Blogger Deepika said...

Just when i think that you have biology all figured out in your head, you go ahead and write this. Boy am I worried about your biology :D
Well, coming back to the write up, lemme start by saying that its as usual great :)
I agree at one point you mentioned in the beginning, just when we think that everything is figured out & nothing can go wrong, life comes with a hard blow & hits straight on the head, bringing us back to reality.
Anyways thats how it goes, no matter how unfair that might seem!
Again, good work dude and study hard (esp biology)!! :)

9:16 PM  
Blogger Sameera said...

Hi Badri.. Came across you in someone's orkut profile.. never knew you write so well; I thought I wouldn't leave a comment but was forced to, for two reasons: you write well and even though you know, its feels good to be told so; and second, I kinda founda some similarity in the way you write and I do.. it was like finding a comrade.. Wish you the best in whatever you pursue.. Have a good life.. !

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home